125 MPH course notes

Hi everyone,

Im curious whether anybody has course notes for 125 MPH class they’d be willing to share?  I was hoping maybe for a list with times for the mile markers?  I understand the mile markers are not exact but I’m not too worried since I will be using a stop watch.  Just something to get me close since I ran middle of pack 110 class last September.

Thanks,

Brad Parvin

Original Post

Hi Brad,  If you go to http://www.orraid.com/Download.html you will find course notes for 125 mph.  They are in spreadsheet form.  They don't have every mile marker, but they do have some mile markers and some other highly visible waypoints.  They also have target times for 125 mph.  Let me know if you need any further help with this.  Also, Blue has an excellent set of notes with times for various speeds, and his notes have a lot more of the mile markers.

Tom thank you for your reply.  I read your previous posts about the notes but when I clicked on the link there was some type of website error?  Not sure if its because this is a new link in your post or a random error but website is working now.

I have a secondary question and sent you a PM.

Brad

Hey Brad, yeah, the ORRAid website hosting service got sold to another company and there was an access error, but I got that fixed.  I responded to your PM - not a very helpful response, I'm afraid, but maybe you can share any information you get on track day insurance with the folks here on the Message Board.

I’ll make sure to share anything I find about track day insurance with the board however right now it seems unless the event is at a specific track it’s a no go unfortunately.  Hagerty and several other insurance companies basically told me they won’t insure open road racing events.  If I do find an insurance company willing maybe they could offer a group rate depending on how many of us would be interested.

Getting back to Brad's question: 125 mph course notes....

I took Blue's notes and the ORRAD 125 notes, converted them to Excel and made my own 100 mph version. In Excel you can calculate time from distance at any speed.

Set Number format for "Custom mm:ss.0" to get time to 1/10 of a second. 

Time=(C31*36)/86400 Where C31 is distance from start for 100 mph

By the way I could not get Excel to display to 1/100 of a second.... which is what Megan demanded so we ended up manually calculating times to 1/100 and writing them on our course notes Saturday night before the race.  :-)

Bill and Megan (Darn, not this time) Lum

Attachments

The ORRaid site is a good place for info.   I've used it in the past.  I also have a good spreadsheet somewhere for calculating timing at various points along the course.  Pretty much just plug in target speed and it spits out the times at each point.  I use that to build a "short-stack" of waypoints and times that I've put on a decal on the inside of the windshield near where I run my timer.  I've used this in the 105 class my rookie year (but that's another story) and twice in the 120 class.

If I remember, I'll try looking for that spreadsheet when I get home.

Asa  Jay

Bill Lum's formula is a real time saver (thank you, Bill!). Of course, what he and Microsoft don't tell you is that the reason you have to divide by 86,400 is because Excel expects you to provide the time in days (!), and there are 86,400 seconds in a day.  So it's

(3600 secs/hour) / (Target Speed mph) = Seconds/mile at your target speed

Then divide by 86,400 seconds per day to convert the time in seconds to days so Excel can give you the hours:min:secs.tenths.  For example at 125 mph:

3600/125 = 28.8 seconds/mile

28.8 / 86400 = 0.00033333 days to go 1 mile.

That's 0.03 days to go 90 miles at 125 mph, or 2,592 seconds, which is 43.2 minutes or 43:12.0000 for your perfect time.

Now if Bill hadn't genetically passed his scientist's preoccupation with detail onto his wonderful daughter, Megan, this would have worked just fine for them.  But, no, Megan had to have her 1/100ths seconds.  Well, they did win the 100 mph class their first time out, so Bill shouldn't complain too much ;-)

Thank you Tom. ;-)

I was told that there would be no math....Of course there is!

Actually the Excel method was only employed in the Inaugural Two Way NORC. The 2017 NORC that we won was based on all hand calculations and taken from ORRaid 125 mph course notes.....before they were updated. We were up late that Saturday night too adjusting for the mile post changes.

Bill and Megan

Tom, William, and Asa Jay,

Thank you for your guidance.  A little bit of reference for a starting point is better than none.  Seems like I’m trying to play catch up to so much this month I just remembered I need to make plans for the race.  I promise I’ll be squared away next year!

My friend Sean (Megan's partner) uses complex spreadsheets and accounting software in his job. I asked him if there was a way to format calculation results in Excel to 1/100 second to satisfy Megan's Navigator needs (Always keep your navigator happy), he says "Of course."

So here it is:

To format output of a multi-cell calculation to 1/100 second

Open your spreadsheet in Excel

Select the cell where you want 1/100 second

Select “Format” cell

Select “Custom”

Put cursor after “mm:ss.0”

Add “0” to end i.e “mm:ss.00”

“Save” the spreadsheet, format is saved for that spreadsheet

So, see Tom's explanation of the calculation above and get your Excel results to 1/100 second. Good luck in May!

Add Reply

Likes (0)